Friday 4 November 2011

Friends can make you feel human...

As a Mummy, finding time for yourself is hard, particularly guilt free time. Anyone that's a Mummy knows what I mean...the minute they are born, the 'Mummy guilt' starts and it never really goes away, or so I thought!

Having spent the day with my best friends today, the rejuvenated feeling of being around adult female company is astonishing, and although I love my son with all my heart, I didn't miss him one bit! Is that wrong? Personally, I don't think it makes me a bad Mummy to admit that having 'me' time makes me feel better, and I don't think any mother should beat themselves up for feeling the same way. Being Mummy is hard and relentless, and even holidays are not holidays like they used to be as you are always watching and preparing and nurturing, so what's so wrong with once in a while taking time for yourself to make Mummy human again.

Relating to other adults, laughing, even playing (the adult version which often involves alcohol!) helps to de-stress and in the end makes you a happier person, not just a happier Mummy. It helps you realise 'I am more than just Mummy' and being able to finish a conversation with another adult without being interrupted by a small person is something you become thankful for. And the time flies by, and before you know it, you are Mummy again, but a better Mummy for being someone else for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment